Monday, June 27, 2016

Seems Like Only Yesterday...

(from Fuel For Thought, 2004)


Moral Values and Cancer           (November 3, 2004)                                                    

At 3:30 a.m. today I tuned to CNN and listened to Bill Schneider reporting on exit polls, his effort to explain how the exit polls could have got it so wrong about Kerry’s presumed success earlier on Tuesday.  He said people kept talking about “moral values, moral values, moral values” one after the other.  And in today’s NY Times, Nicholas Kristof reminds me that one third of Americans are evangelical Christians (98 million white-robed souls), and that they feel “Democrats are contemptuous of their faith”.

I became so frustrated I googled “moral values” to see if I could find some way to understand why I could be feeling so alienated.  As I scrolled down, I spotted a reference to Tennessee Williams.  I’ve always felt that Southern writers/artists have had a good fix on the hypocrisy in our culture (Faulkner and Flannery O’Connor also pop up, especially O’Connor’s “A Good Man Is Hard to Find” and “Good Country People”—check them out to experience the blindness of those who will not see.).  Williams’ genius, of course, has been shunned by our homophobic culture, so his cultural observations have lacked serious considerations, because the red states (see last paragraph) regard him, I suppose, as an elitist.

Anyway, in his study of Williams, “’Certain Moral Values’: A Rhetoric of Outcasts in the Plays of Tennessee Williams” Darryl Erwin Haley states, “The outcast characters in Tennessee Williams's major plays do not suffer because of the actions or circumstances that make them outcast but because of the destructive impact of conventional morality upon them… religious outcasts, who are vehicles for the playwright's commentary on contemporary Christianity.” And Williams, like Faulkner and O’Connor, fuses this naïve, evangelical Christianity with the naïve vision of America as a culture of well-wishers and engaged citizenry.  They demonstrate what we have been experiencing recently—the zealous frenzy of the 98 million evangelical Christians thumping the message of God being at the core of the land of the free and home of the brave is really a front for the land of the spree and the home of the knave.  They are blind to the ground level, real time issues, because they are assured of The Rapture.  These are the people O’Connor includes in the character of the grandmother whom The Misfit (serial killer) refers to when he says, "She would of [sic] been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

The NY Times editorial writer says no matter who wins the election (as of this writing, Kerry has not conceded) the country must pull together.  Is this possible?  My ancestry in this country goes back to the early 1700s, but I don’t feel that I belong here.  I have never felt this alienated.  My moral values have to do with civility and the general welfare.  I don’t see those values being exercised by the majority of the people in my community nor in the way this nation squanders its wealth on consumption.  Everything I see is smiley faces, yellow ribbons and get-the-hell-outta-my-way-and-the-devil-take-the-hindmost.

As I looked at the red and blue map of the voting results, the map seemed to be bleeding internally.  As the youth vote that decided not to show up will discover as it ages, the thing about internal bleeding is that when you find the blood in your stool, it’s already too late.  That’s the insidious nature of colon cancer.  The symbolism here resonates for me.  Beneath America’s show of might and right, of preciousness and righteousness, we are not mindful of our deteriorating cultural health.


No comments:

Post a Comment