Thursday, October 26, 2017

Ishmael, Or The More Things Change…


[Note: This is a lengthy post.  I hope that by sticking with it you’ll be rewarded.  If you don’t have time right now, it will still be here when you do.]

When I read the final paragraph of Michael Powell’s “The American Wanderer, in All His Stripes” (NYTimes, “Week in Review,” 8.24.08, p10) a shudder ran across my shoulders.  First, I must acknowledge Mr. Powell’s courage in attempting the onerous task of compressing the archetype of America’s picaro or isolato into a very brief article.  This archetype includes some of America’s fondest and most curious characters, such as Natty Bumpo, Huck Finn, Jay Gatsby, Jack Kerouac (of the many whom Powell mentions in his review), and, of course, Ishmael.

Powel is not so much interested in literary character analysis as he is in tracing the legacy of wanderlust in the American cultural personality.  He cites familiar census data to illustrate this, but I think most American families can feel it in their bones.  We are, in fact, wanderers by virtue of our being here.  With the exception of what’s left of Native Americans and the descendants of slaves, we all got here willfully to move away from somewhere else. For most, this became a cultural modus vivendi— it’s what we do and who we are.  And for a few it was and is the result of desperation.  To put it succinctly: This is a highly complex part of American human character, which first came under scrutiny in the wake of Frederick Jackson Turner’s proclamation that American freedom, as illustrated in this urge to roam, had finally come to an end—the frontier was closed.

[Please bear with me.  I will be dealing with Ishmael and my shudders very soon.  This is all very important background.  It’s the stuff most of your literature instructors neglected to tell you.]

American authors have tried, often successfully, to capture the voice of this persona.  Many scholars cite Fenimore Cooper as the first to create this in his character of Natty Bumpo, the white European who felt more comfortable among the Native Americans than he did among his fellow encroaching Europeans—when he heard the sound of the axe felling trees, the first sounds of settlement, he knew it was time to move on.  This sets the tone for the American who at least seriously doubts the virtues of civilization, who openly opposes it and willingly “plays” its true believers (cf. Melville’s “Confidence Man” and Twain’s “Mysterious Stranger).  As Powell indicates, Jay Gatsby, literally a “self-made man”, was just such a character, his wandering being part of the cover he needed to gain respect from the higher social orders as well as criminals.  Powell also cites this anti-tolerance for the ways of civilization in Huck Finn’s coda to his funny, painful and ultimately dismaying narrative: “But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can’t stand it.”  What Huck, Natty, Nick Caraway, the voices of the Beats, Ralph Ellison, Richard Wright, etc.—and Melville—felt was that civilization American style was not an especially humanizing experience.

So what about Ishmael and why is this relevant to the current presidential gavotte?  Last part first, Mr. Powell demonstrates that the biographies of our current presidential candidates fit the literary and cultural archetypes that he discusses. He strongly implies that this neat fit will comfortably resonate across the media, so that each candidate will have (I suppose) sub-textual identity with the American voter.  That’s my inference, be that as it may, but the really serious issue is a deep understanding of the Ishmael personality. 

First, he is subtly duplicitous.  Powel cites this, quoting the famous opening sentence, “Call me Ishmael.”  This provides the narrator with two essentials for his purpose: a cover for his anonymity (see Melville above) and a direct biblical connection to the wandering son looking for his mother (Freudian scholars loved that part).  Powell also cites the first part of Ishmael’s self-characterization, “Some years ago, having little or no money in my purse and nothing to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.”  Remember: This is after the fact of the cataclysmic fate of the whaler Pequod, its monomaniacal captain and its inter-ethnic crew.  Directly after that introduction  (this part Mr. Powell does not cite) Ishmael gets us a little closer to the truth of his life and personality, saying “Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzily November in my soul, whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos [melancholia, blues] get such an upper hand of me that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball.”  A little more severe than “nothing to interest me on shore.”

OK. So here’s a person that most people would give a wide berth (sorry, couldn’t avoid that). Let’s keep this picaro, this isolato where he belongs—isolated. And now for the source of my shudder.  Powell links both Obama and McCain with this character type.  And he closes the article by quoting from Arnold Ramparsad: “The next U.S. president is going to be Ishmael, whether we like it or not, and whether he knows it or not…Fortunately, both Obama and McCain know that they are Ishmael.”  And unfortunately, Donald Trump doesn’t know and doesn’t care.  I’ll jump the shark here and cite Bannon as Trump’s Ahab.

Personality analysis from literary character to living humans is a stretch, no doubt. But what if it’s not?  Ishmael learned a lot from the trauma of his “sail about…the watery part of the world.”  First, don’t trust people; don’t expose who you actually are.  Second, knowing the dangers inherent in the “drizzily November of [your] soul,” get away from people, at least get away from normal society’s “sivilizing” behaviors.  And finally, tell your story to evoke the greatest sympathy among your listeners.  This, then, is our choice in our November?  Hence, my shudder, which has been resurrected.  If only Trump had moved on.

Addenda
Conventional wisdom among literary scholars is that the Pequod symbolizes the world, and its crew symbolizes representative humanity (albeit exclusively male, but that’s another long post.  Meanwhile, you could read Melville’s Redburn to get an idea of his exclusively male universe. ).


Ishmael is saved by the buoyancy of Queequeg’s empty coffin, his memory of his soul mate, an echo of the “coffin warehouses “ of the opening paragraph.  So what we have learned is nothing except, of course, that the threat of death is the ultimate but unavoidable motivator.

No comments:

Post a Comment